Zucchini Potato Pancakes with Smoked Salmon & Meyer Lemon Creme Fraiche
adapted from the fabulous Giada.
This would make quite the elegant party appetizer if you are having guests over, or just a fancy little snack to nibble on at home.
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus leaves, for garnish
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 1/2 cups creme fraiche, at room temperature
- zest of 1 meyer lemon
- 8 oz smoked salmon, sliced
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray and set aside.
- Lay the potatoes and zucchini on 2 kitchen towels. Bring the corners of the towels together and squeeze out the excess moisture from the vegetables and place the vegetables in a large bowl.
- Add the garlic, chopped rosemary, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, egg whites, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the vegetable mixture to the pan. Using a spatula, press the mixture evenly into the pan. Drizzle the top with olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Cook for 8 minutes or until the edges of the mixture begin to brown.
- Slide the pancake, cooked side down, onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top of the pancake starts to brown and the edges are crispy. Cut the pancake into 1 1/2-inch squares and arrange on a serving platter. Top each with a piece of smoked salmon.
- Add meyer lemon zest to the creme fraiche and stir until combined. Pipe or spoon on top of salmon and garnish with a fresh rosemary leaf.